Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Rainy Days Here... and There.


Via Fillungo~Lucca, Italy

I am enjoying these rainy days... really, what else can we do? Stay inside, organize cupboards and drawers. Go through recipes that have been clipped all winter long, what to save and what to toss. These days I'm remembering an evening in Lucca, Italy. I had, along with my sister and my niece, stepped outside of our hotel and it was raining. A warm and gentle rain. Not what we wanted for our stay in this ancient walled village, but we were there and a little rain wasn't going to spoil our parade. We stepped out onto Via Fillungo-one of the main streets in Lucca- the one that houses the really great shops and cafes. As we walked, heading to our trattoria of choice for our evening meal, the rains came and there in front of us dozens of colorful umbrellas opened wide, shielding the passers-by of the drizzle. Unfortunately the camera I was using at the time did not cooperate for this magical photo. There were umbrellas everywhere- dozens of them in all colors!

I couldn't help but remember that evening on this rainy day and decided a walk with my umbrella would help me to embrace and consider all that a good rainy day can bring. I walked with a slow pace remembering that evening; the anticipation of arriving at our destination, sipping rich, red wine and ordering whatever the special was of the evening. It reminded me to slow down, to enjoy the rainy days as well as the warm, sunny days, for each one holds its own special story. A sunny day can invite us outside to dig among the winter debris to see if spring has brought us some new growth. A rainy day beckons a walk along a gravel road and warm thoughts of spring to follow.

Are you experiencing rainy, spring weather? What do you do to "embrace" it???

Image~ Via Fillungo-Lucca, Italy {dkimages}

10 comments:

  1. Today was our third sunny day of spring! That said, we have lots and lots of rainy days in Seattle. I get out as much as possible - that's what helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week we had one rainy day. However, I love this post and pic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post! And please no more rain for me....had enough of it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The other day we had snow. I think this might be it. If I can't go out I do the same, there is always a project left unfinished. Otherwise I just enjoy the moment- rain, snow, sunshine...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just the other day, I had such a fond memory of playing outside in the rain, the delight of donning my red rain boots, the smell of my yellow rain coat and hat, and the finishing touch of a clear umbrella to see the rain-drops. My umbrella was shaped like a mushroom - we would go outside, and see the grass smile as it turned green with every drop of rain. I just know that the trees and the flowers are all enjoying the love of rain. ( I did feel a bit like the Morton Salt Girl ) Now I realize that our dear Mother truly needed a moment to gather her thoughts while we were out of her "hare!" As a Mom, we each need to value our space, inner and outer. Enjoy the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the rain...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still raining over here! But it gave me some time to do our tax return and organize. Nature and my garden are the ones enjoying all the rain, everything is rapidly turning green.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today was sunny and 80 degrees, but yesterday morning it was in the mid 30s. I can't keep track of what to wear this Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dooooo enjoy the rain! I like to sit by a fire and paint or blog... or listen to music!
    LOVE the photo... Italy is divine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers